Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Anyone go to Calverton this weekend?

Anyone go to Calverton this weekend? 4 years 4 months ago #685

• foxC
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Was at Calverton this morning and was wondering if anyone else from Long Island goes here on the weekends? Would be nice putting faces to your names.

I know it sorta has a wild west atmosphere when compared to Islip range or others but it is getting better :P
"A conquering army on the border will not be stopped by eloquence." -- Otto von Bismark
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Anyone go to Calverton this weekend? 4 years 4 months ago #686

• mlf4
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I like going out to Calverton... I'm due for a trip! I wanted to get out there today, but didn't get a chance. :( Hopefully later in the week or next if the weather holds out. I tend to go Sunday's in the PM. I'll post before my next trip out there.

I don't find the range is as bad as some people make it out to be. My biggest complaint is lack of associating benches with targets. I've found simply asking the person next to me which target they are shooting gets that resolved.

Only once did I have a minor issue when someone was shooting (very) diagonally downrange (from 100 to 200) at got annoyed when I unknowingly pulled their target. Oops. :P

Anyone go to Calverton this weekend? 4 years 4 months ago #687

• foxC
  • Junior Boarder
Yeah there is a problem with mistaken targets when it gets crowded there. I had a really good, for me anyways, grouping at the 100 yd target of ten shots in 1-1/2" with an AR15. I was really proud of that one and wanted to save it to for my records. When I went to look again before line went cold the guy next to me is putting rounds in it as I am looking thru the spotting scope, Looked like shotgun splatter. WTF :-?
I made the "same mistake" when he set up his blue siloutte at the fifty. As soon as the RO announced line hot I put twenty rounds in is target :whistle: My Bad.
The RO barked out Slow Fire :ohmy: I moved to the two hundred yard range, a little more relaxed over at that end.
Going back tomorrow or maybe Friday morning to try out some loads I am working on. Gotta check their winter schedule.
"A conquering army on the border will not be stopped by eloquence." -- Otto von Bismark
Last Edit: 4 years 4 months ago by foxC.

Anyone go to Calverton this weekend? 4 years 4 months ago #688

• mlf4
  • Junior Boarder
I'm going to try to make it to Calverton in a few... should be there 1:30 to 2:30 (barring any change in weather).

I'll be the one freezing by the black Honda Fit.

Marco

Anyone go to Calverton this weekend? 4 years 4 months ago #690

• mlf4
  • Junior Boarder
Was pretty nice at Calverton today. Not crowded, sunny, and not too cold... :)
My shooting on the other hand... :blush: :whistle: :angry: .... I couldn't get a tight group if I had the Hubble telescope on my rifle. I do think the 77 grain .223 ammo was partially to blame. (see my post in the "for sale" section).
Only one way to prove my theory... I have to go back next week with 69 grain match ammo. :cheer:
And, if that doesn't improve my groups... keep an eye out for all my rifles for sale on the forum! :ohmy:
If anyone is interested in trying to meet up next week (not sure what day yet), let me know.
Last Edit: 4 years 4 months ago by mlf4.

Anyone go to Calverton this weekend? 4 years 4 months ago #691

• fmelloni
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 55
Before ya go selling all that stuff, try some handloads!

Factory ammo will never get much better then 1MOA.

Class coming up 2/1 if you're interested.
Nobody ever turned around from committing a shooting spree because they didn't have a pistol grip.

Anyone go to Calverton this weekend? 4 years 4 months ago #692

• foxC
  • Junior Boarder
Sorry I missed you yesterday marco. I went this morning. Got there before ten and waited about ten minutes till they opened the gates.

Lotta people there this morning but a bit quiet down by the 100 yd only range.

I have a 1:9 twist Windham AR15 and it does not like anything above 75 gr. My rifle actually loves 62 gr green tips.

Frank nailed it with his advice. I am just now getting brass together for the .223. I bought some 69gr SMKs and will see how they group.

I am off next week give me a heads up before you go.

Anyone go to Calverton this weekend? 4 years 4 months ago #695

• mlf4
  • Junior Boarder
>> Before ya go selling all that stuff, try some handloads!
Frank - The sad part is that I had a nice complete Dillon 550 & RCBS set-up for many, many years and sold it all a few years ago... kids were young, I wasn't shooting much, and ammo was bountiful and cheap. Do'h!!! :pinch:

I used to throw each load a little light, and then trickle to precise weight.

Having to start from ground up will be a pain, but I've been looking into it (and have a bucket-o-.223 brass I've been saving). I'm tempted to go with a rock-chucker and an automated trickle scale to keep start-up cost low.

>> I am off next week give me a heads up before you go.
Fox C- I'm taking off too next week. Will keep an eye on the weather (and family activities) and let you know when I can go.

On my Remington 700 1:9 twist, I had good luck with PMC Bronze 55gr. I took it out to 300 yards at Calverton (was there one of the summer day's when they opened the extra hundred after hours) and did OK.

Anyone go to Calverton this weekend? 4 years 4 months ago #696

• fmelloni
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 55
Ah, yes I remember that now.

Your equipment choice would be among my first picks.

I do all my bolt action rounds on a single stage.

If you use a powder measure with a good ball powder you'll be surprised how consistent ut throws
Nobody ever turned around from committing a shooting spree because they didn't have a pistol grip.

Anyone go to Calverton this weekend? 4 years 4 months ago #701

• mlf4
  • Junior Boarder
I took a short last minute trip to Calverton today. No sun and a cold day... brrr.

I confirmed that my .223 remington does not like the 77 grain.... I did fine with 69 grain bullets :cheer: , and horrible with 77.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 1.399 seconds